Durham City District
Go to latest news

Wood Badge training - Modules 24/26 - Managing and Supporting Adults (for issue on 27 April)

Modules 24/26 - Managing and Supporting Adults – Thursday 25 May 2017


Durham Scout County’s Training Team will be delivering Module2 24 and 26 of the Adult Training Scheme on Thursday 25 May from 7pm at 1st Eppleton Scout Group's Headquarters in Houghton-le-Spring District.


This is an additional session to support Managers and Supporters who are working to complete their Wood Badge by June 2017. We run the session as two modules together, thus suitable for all Managers and Supporters.

If you wish to undertake this module and can commit to the date, applications need to be made by 7pm on Thursday 11 May via www.durhamscouts.org.uk/mytools.

If you do not have an assigned Training Adviser, please record “No TA” in the relevant field.

Yoga

I am contacting you as I am setting up children's yoga classes in the Durham are and wondered if yo would fancy a free taster session at one of your cub scout events? I currently cover ages 2 - 11. I am a qualified art and yoga teacher and have full DBS and insurance.
Many thanks
Ashley
yoga_motion@yahoo.com


Beaver and Cub Big Days Out - June 2017

BEAVERS:
When: Saturday 10th June 2017 (10.00am - 5.30pm)
What: Pirate themed activities, picnic, campfire
Where: Moor House Adventure Centre:
Cost: £5.00
Bookings Close: 19th May 2017, or when full (limit of 500)
Beaver BIG DAY OUT - More Details and Bookings (http://durhamscouts.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=715bb657c28be7c01b1bb616a&id=0edf39a535&e=b990679ae2)

CUBS
When: Sunday 11th June 2017 (10.30am - 5.00pm)
What: Action packed activity day with Active, Survival, Nature and Science Zones
Where: Moor House Adventure Centre:
Cost: £15.00
Bookings Close: 19th May 2017, or when full (limit of 750)
** Cub BIG DAY OUT - More Details and Bookings (http://durhamscouts.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=715bb657c28be7c01b1bb616a&id=4fb9a5dd0e&e=b990679ae2)

Regional Nights Away Workshop on May 6th - Boroughbridge

There is an opportunity to train as a District Nights Away Adviser. If anyone is interested in the role please speak to myself and Richard Smith i the first instance.

Beaver Leaders Meeting

The next District Beaver Leaders meeting will be 4th May (a Thursday), 7:15 at Fram.

For discussion:
Forthcoming events - Beaver picnic, sports day?, faith event?

Sleepover.
- Theme
- Activities
- Numbers
- Key dates.


Module 25

Just a reminder that I am running another Module 25, Assessing Learning over two evenings as follows:

Module 25, Assessing Learning (part 1), for managers, supporters and potential TAs on Wednesday 10th May, venue, Kayll House, 9 Foyle Street, Sunderland, SR1 1LB from 7:30 to 9:00

Module 25 Assessing Learning (part 2), for potential TAs on Thursday 18th May, venue, Kayll House, 9 Foyle Street, Sunderland, SR1 1LB from 7:00 to 9:00

Notes 1) This will be the last Mod 25 part 1 before the cut off date for current managers and supporters to complete their wood badge.

2) Potential TAs must attend both sessions

I would appreciate it if DCs could bring this session on 10th May to the attention of any managers or supporters who need to attend Mod 25 part 1;

DTCs - please pass this info on to any leaders who have been identified as potential TAs.

Young Leader Updates

I hope you had a relaxing Easter break and are ready for the approaching summer term, which always promises to be busy! I have a couple of Young Leader related updates which I would be grateful if you could action when you return to your Units next week.

Module A
As I’m sure you’re aware, Module A is compulsory for all Young Leaders and should be completed within 3 months of starting within a section. This covers necessary aspects of safeguarding, risk assessment and Scouting fundamentals essential to being a Young Leader. The next session of this will be on Monday 15 May at 7:30pm at Fram Scout Hut. Please could you circulate this training to any Young Leaders within your Units, asking them to email me to book onto the training.

Further Young Leader Dates
I am just finalising further dates for Young Leader training in the 2017/18 academic year. One of these will be a weekend training camp which will cover all the modules over than Module A and K (First Aid). Provisionally, I have pencilled this in for 16-17 September. Please could you let me know if this clashes with any other events in your calendars before I pursue booking Moor House? I will also be continuing to run one Module A each term circulating through the Explorer Units. I provisionally have the following dates and locations set for this, again could you let me know if they suit?
20 September - Brandon
12 February - Elvet
1 May - Gilesgate

Young Leader Details
I am slowly but surely gaining a hold on the state of play of Young Leaders across the District however it seems that I often seem to only find out about them when they come for training. This means that those who were trained before I started looking at YLs I often don’t know about. Would you be able to confirm to me any YLs you have within your Unit, alongside their age and where they volunteer (group and section) - I should then be able to cross-reference this against my records and those taken in the past to build an accurate picture of YLs within Durham City?

If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch. I look forward to hearing from you in due course,

Ben Hodgkiss
Explorer Scout Leader (Young Leaders), Durham City District

Module 9 - Working with Adults

Durham Scout County’s Training Team will be delivering Module 9 of the Adult Training Scheme on Wednesday 3 May from 7:30pm at Moor House.

If you wish to undertake this module and can commit to the date, applications need to be made by 7:30pm on Wednesday 19 April via www.durhamscouts.org.uk/mytools.

If you do not have an assigned Training Adviser, please record “No TA” in the relevant field.

Module 8 – Tuesday 16 May 2017

Durham Scout County’s Training Team will be delivering Module 8 of the Adult Training Scheme (Skills of Leadership) on Tuesday 16 May from 7pm at Moor House.

If you wish to undertake this module and can commit to the date, applications need to be made by 7pm on Tuesday 2 May via www.durhamscouts.org.uk/mytools.

If you do not have an assigned Training Adviser, please record “No TA” in the relevant field.

Modules 17/23 – Wednesday 17 May 2017

Durham Scout County’s Training Team will be delivering Module17 and 23 of the Adult Training Scheme on Wednesday 17 May from 7pm at 1st Eppleton Scout Group Headquarters in Houghton-le-Spring District.


Module 17 is Running Safe Activities; Module 23 is Safety for Manager and Supporters. We run the modules together. This is a duplicate session of that run on Monday 3 April, to provide an additional opportunity. Whilst this was conceived as helping Managers and Supporters needing to complete their Wood Badge by June 2017, the session is open to all for whom it will be beneficial.

If you wish to undertake this module and can commit to the date, applications need to be made by 7pm on Wednesday 3 May via www.durhamscouts.org.uk/mytools.

If you do not have an assigned Training Adviser, please record “No TA” in the relevant field.

Newcastle Gang show

Looking for something to do over the Easter Holiday?

Come along and support one of Fram's Cubs and a couple of our Leaders as they take to the stage as part of Newcastle Gang Show. A Gang Show is a variety show put on by Scouts and Guides. We've a large cast this year of over 100 and have some real treats lined up. All performances take place in the People's Theatre at Heaton, Newcastle.



Cub Adventure Day

Bookings are now open for the Cub Adventure day on Sunday 11 June. Details can be found on the website by following the link below.

https://www.durhamscouts.org.uk/events/bdo-cubs/

We look forward to seeing you there.

Sarah, Lesley and Anne


Beaver Picnic/Big Day Out booking is open!

This is just a quick note to let you all know that the Beaver Picnic/Big Day Out webpage with information on the day and booking instructions is now available.

The website/page is:
https://www.durhamscouts.org.uk/events/bdo-beavers/

Please circulate the website to your Leaders

Thanks and yours in Scouting,

Paul Woods


Community Impact Support Day

This is a reminder that as part of our Vision 2018 strategy we made a commitment to make a positive impact in our communities, embrace and contribute to social change and create active citizens.

As you may know, 1st Staindrop Scout Group in Teesdale District were winners of the Community Impact Project Award at this years 'Scouting for All' Awards

Now you can join them as the national Community Impact Group (a team of young people who provide the strategic lead for Community Impact and are youth social action experts) are running a fun and informative support day on Saturday 13th May to help leaders, young leaders, managers, network members and commissioners across North East England to share practical ideas and assist with programme planning, build knowledge, skills and confidence to make a real and lasting impact in their local communities. These could be on an issue that young people feel passionate about in their local area or one of the national issues (A Million Hands).

By the end of the day participants will be able to:

Explain the principles of high quality Community Impact projects
Outline the importance of young people driving social change
Explain the methodology of running a Community Impact project and how to deliver within the 6-25 Programme
Be able to understand and identify what makes a great community impact project
Understand and access the support available
Agree an outline action plan

This is an ideal day for anyone wanting to get involved with A Million Hands and who has not yet done so, or who wants to help our young people make a postive impact in their communities through a local project.

Where: The Hawkhills, Easingwold, York YO61 3EG
When: Saturday 13th May 2017
What time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Refreshments: Available throughout the day and lunch is provided
Cost: Free
What to wear: Comfortable clothing

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/community-impact-support-days-registration-27251862053

Looking for Some New Recruits to Help Make Your Section / Group /Unit Grow?

We all know that Scouting is at its best when done in a group of great friends.

Building and growing sections to achieve the right numbers to make awesome things happen occasionally needs a bit of help.

The Regional Services Team (RST) are running a series of 3 webinars, which you can access from your own home, looking at

Session 1 What is around us and working with schools for recruitment (19:00 Wednesday 3rd May 2017)
Session 2 Planning and running open, taster and public events (9:00 Tuesday 9th May 2017)
Session 3 Useful tools, tips and ideas for recruiting and supporting better engagement of existing members. (19:00 Thursday 24th May 2017)

Use the button below to sign up for session 1 and subsequent session details will be released afterwards. There are 75 places for each session on this series of webinars and if there is sufficient demand the RST will re-run them within a short time frame.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/grass-roots-support-tickets-33212731173

Module 25

Module 25, Assessing Learning (part 1), for managers, supporters and potential TAs on Wednesday 10th May, venue, Kayll House, 9 Foyle Street, Sunderland, SR1 1LB from 7:30 to 9:00

Module 25 Assessing Learning (part 2), for potential TAs on Thursday 18th May, venue, Kayll House, 9 Foyle Street, Sunderland, SR1 1LB from 7:00 to 9:00

Notes 1) This will be the last Mod 25 part 1 before the cut off date for current managers and supporters to complete their wood badge.

2) Potential TAs must attend both sessions

I would appreciate it if DCs could bring this session on 10th May to the attention of any managers or supporters who need to attend Mod 25 part 1;

DTCs - please pass this info on to any leaders who have been identified as potential TAs.

Applications need to be made via www.durhamscouts.org.uk/mytools by 7pm on Wed 26th April; I am aware that timing is very tight for this and apologise for the short notice

Campsite Visit - Tuesday Evening

There are still space for members of the District to visit Coalburns Wood and to input on the plans for developing the site to meet the needs of the District for the future. As per previous discussions the site offers an ideal venue for backwoods skills and activities and will most likely be developed (at least initially) to minimise commitment of both cost and time.

Due to the lack of parking we will need to travel together and we will need to leave (from the Fram Scout hut) at 17.30 to see the site before it gets dark.

Young people may also join us providing there's enough space - but priority will go to leaders.

Please let me know ASAP if you would like to join us.



Practical Skills day - now on 25th June

Please note the date for the County Practical Skills training has been updated

In response to your feedback, we are organising practical skills workshops on the 25th June 2017 at Moor House. From fire lighting to tent pitching, we've designed a flexible day to help you gain the essential practical skills you told us you needed to be able to pass them onto your young people.
Sign up for a County Practical Skills Workshop - 24th June 2017

Each of our half-day sessions will run in both the morning and the afternoon, with the following zones:

Backwoods Zone - Knife & axe, fire lighting and backwoods cooking
Survival Zone - Knife & axe and survival skills
Pioneering Zone - Knots, lashings and pioneering
Camping Zone - Erecting tents and campsite layout
Permit Zone - Climbing (including crate stacking) assessment (for AAP permit) and basic navigation skills

Each module will be adapted on the day based on participants prior learning and will not only teach the skills, but also the techniques you can use to teach your young people. All modules are suitable for all leaders, regardless of your section.

You can find out more on the Practical Skill Workshop page on the County website


Program Exchange Workshops

Save the date (21st or 22nd October)
County are planning two program exchange workshops - a chance for section leaders from across the county to share program ideas.

Bookings will open later in the year

Young leaders Module A

The next Young Leaders Module A will be held on Monday 15 May at Fram Scout Hut at 7:30pm. This is compulsory for all Young Leaders as it covers basic safety and safeguarding alongside other topics. If you have Young Leaders who are required to attend this, please ask them to email Ben on benhodgkiss@btinternet.com to register them.


County Youth Investment Fund Outcome

While this funding is not directly beneficial for Durham City there's very likely to be spin off benefits.

I am delighted to say that in the last week we have been advised that our bid was successful, and that we will be receiving just over £276,000 to invest over the next three years.

The terms of the bid were such that we could only apply for funding for the 10 - 18 year age range in Darlington and Sunderland, but our proposal was put together in such as way to ensure that there will be additional benefit to the Beaver and Cub Scout sections and benefit to other Districts through the building of sustainable capacity in the Scout County, which will become available to other Districts..

The outcome is mind blowing in terms of the difference this will make to young lives and I would like to thank everyone who got involved in the preparation of our proposal, including members of the County Executive Committee and members of Darlington and Sunderland Scout Districts.

David Stokes


Additional modules to support Managers and Supporters

We have arranged two modules to support Managers and Supporters who are looking to complete their Wood Badges by the end of June 2017.

We will repeat Modules 17/23 on Wednesday 17 May. This will cover the requirements for both Module 17 - Running safe activities and Module 23 - Safety for Managers and Supporters. As a result it will also be possible to cater for those working towards a Section Leader Wood Badge who were unable to attend the session on 3 April. The modules will be at 1st Eppleton HQ.

We will run another Module 24/26 on Thursday 25 May, again at 1st Eppleton HQ and again 1900 to 2100. Module 24 is Managing Adults and Module 26 Supporting Adults. We will run the joint session and thus it is suitable for all Managers and Supporters.


Pete Swinney Cub Competition 2017

Following a record number of entries in 2016 we are pleased to announce that the Pete Swinney Competition is returning in 2017, meaning even more Cubs can join in the fun! The Pete Swinney Competition is a big orienteering challenge, featuring a large number of activities around the grounds of Moor House.

Who can enter?
Anyone, not just winners of District Competitions. Teams can consist of between 4 and 6 Cubs. Groups can enter as many teams as they want.
What will happen?
Cubs will be given a map of Moor House showing all the different challenges. Each challenge will have a number of points available for successful completion and each team can choose what challenges they want to try, first using the map to find them. The team with the most points at the end of 2 hours wins!
Which activities?
We are asking each group who enter a team to provide one of the challenge bases. This might be a mental, physical, skill or team work challenge, appropriate for Cub ages. The more exciting the activity, the more fun the Pete Swinney will be! We’ll review your activity idea beforehand, to ensure that each challenge is different – you will be asked to submit your idea on the entry form. We’ll also be using a number of the Moor House activities as additional challenges, including Bouldering and Archery.
Timings
Cubs can start arriving from 12:30pm, with registration opening at 12.45pm. There will be time in the morning for groups to setup their challenges and also a leaders briefing. Last year due to the number of teams entering we found that the scoring took longer than expected, to help keep Cubs occupied during this time we would like leaders to continue to run their bases for fun after the competition has ended from 4pm until 4.45pm Please note these timings are approximate and subject to change.

12.45 – Registration Opens
13:30 – Briefing and route planning
13:45-16:00 – Competition
16:00 - 16.45– activities to continue
16:45 – Presentation
17:00 – Finish

Bookings
The Pete Swinney Competition costs £4 per Cub, which includes a badge, certificate and all the activities. The deadline for entries is the 15th April 2017. and bookings are now open at Durham Scouts » Pete Swinney 2017

Working with Adults - Module 09 – Wednesday 3 May 2017

Durham Scout County’s Training Team will be delivering Module 9 of the Adult Training Scheme on Wednesday 3 May from 7:30pm at Moor House.

If you wish to undertake this module and can commit to the date, applications need to be made by 7:30pm on Wednesday 19 April via www.durhamscouts.org.uk/mytools

If you do not have an assigned Training Adviser, please record “No TA” in the relevant field.

County Shop Update

As a many of you will know Durham Scout County has had a Scout Shop for many years (details on the County website at Shop Page)

Up to last year it was run by Angela Scott, who unfortunately had to retire due to ill health at the end of last year.

For the last 9 months the shop has been run by a number of volunteers led by Fiona Slater who many of you will know, and supported by Sarah Hignett, Julie Hutchinson and Debbie Todd.

This has been very successful and many thanks to all of them, and to all of you who have supported the shop. We now need to move forward and again employ someone to run the shop which will continue to be supported by the current and hopefully some more volunteers.

Before we put out an advert for a part time member of staff we would like your input into what YOU want from the shop.

Currently we open 10am – 4pm on Saturdays, and 11.15am – 4pm on Wednesdays as that is what the volunteers are able to cover.

We are looking to employ someone who could do around 16 hours per week, allowing a late finish on Wednesday plus a little more time for ordering etc.

Before we put out a Job Description with working hours we would like your input as to what you want from the shop, such as:

Preferred opening hours & days
Any other services you would like see the shop providing
Whether you are likely to buy from the shop, either in person or to receive items by post


If you have anything you would like to share with Fiona & myself please e-mail:- shop@durhamscouts.org.uk by Friday 31st March.

Many thanks
Ken Robertson

Adding new roles to Compass

Just to make you aware that as new people are added to Compass with roles section assistant and above they will be contacted by the District Appoints Secretary to arrange their appointment meeting and asked to provide their references. Please can you discuss this process with your new leaders so they know to expect it and it doesn't come as a shock!
If you have any queries about the appointments process please feel free to get in touch with Ken Robertson (District Appointments committee chair) or me (District Appointments secretary)

Thanks
Claire

Beaver Botanics

Well done to the Beaver Team for arrangeing a great event at the Botanic Gardens:

Just wanted to say what a fantastic day we all had at the Botanical Gardens. The weather helped! We/me had fantastic fun especially Den building, we made 'cheese' from decaying wood (lots of it - the Beavers seemed to be on a mission!), carrots from fir cones, chips for Sara out of sticks and 'cabbage' out of dead leaves - real Shirley Hughes stuff (remember Bonting the stone?). My Beavers also enjoyed the Quiz Trail and just collecting things for their journey sticks.

Our Beavers all had a great time too, we could have done with an extra half hour as I had Some disappointed Beavers when we had to leave den building for our picnic!






Welcome to:

I would like to welcome:
Izzy Fraser, Cub Assistant Section Leader at 5th Durham
Emily Anderson, Beaver Section Assistant 5th Durham






Jan 2012Feb 2012Mar 2012Apr 2012May 2012Jun 2012Jul 2012Aug 2012Sep 2012Oct 2012Nov 2012Dec 2012
Jan 2013Feb 2013Mar 2013Apr 2013May 2013Jun 2013Jul 2013Aug 2013Sep 2013Oct 2013Nov 2013Dec 2013
Jan 2014Feb 2014Mar 2014Apr 2014May 2014Jun 2014Jul 2014Aug 2014Sep 2014Oct 2014Nov 2014Dec 2014
Jan 2015Feb 2015Mar 2015Apr 2015May 2015Jun 2015Jul 2015Aug 2015Sep 2015Oct 2015Nov 2015Dec 2015
Jan 2016Feb 2016Mar 2016Apr 2016May 2016Jun 2016Jul 2016Aug 2016Sep 2016Oct 2016Nov 2016Dec 2016
Jan 2017Feb 2017Mar 2017Apr 2017May 2017Jun 2017Jul 2017Aug 2017Sep 2017Oct 2017Nov 2017Dec 2017
Jan 2018Feb 2018Mar 2018

Upcoming District events

County Big Day Out

09/06/18
Beavers big day out - Moor House

01/01/70

Navigation weekend

27/04/18

SANCTUARY

14/07/18

SANCTUARY

14/07/18

Privacy Statement and other Legal Stuff                                   webmaster@durhamcityscouts.org.uk