Durham City District

This Weeks News

Angela Scott

Dear Scouting Friends,

It is with sadness that I share the news of Angela Scott’s passing.

As most of you will know, Angela worked at both Moor House for many years and was well known and liked by many members of the county in her other role working in the county shop. Sadly, Angela had to retire a while ago due to health issues.

Angela was 52 and had been diagnosed with cancer, which progressed more quickly that was originally anticipated.

we are advised that that a service will be held to remember Angela’s life on Feb 26th at 12:45pm St Edmunds Church, Bear Park followed by cremation at Durham Crematorium at 13:30.

Instead of flowers, we have been requested to make donations to MacMillan Cancer Support (https://www.macmillan.org.uk/donate)

We have been advised by Angela’s family that she would have loved an honour guard, so please can members intending to attend the service at St Edmunds please arrive by 12.30pm and wear full uniform.

Please would you pass this information along to all those who knew Angela and who would like to attend.





Welcome to

Joanne Teesdale, Assistant section cub leader (Framwellgate Moor)


The Gilwell Oak

There's still time to log your vote (ahem) and help the glorious Gilwell Oak win European Tree of the Year: treeoftheyear.org


Scouts Digital Day

The Scout Association's Digital Team wants to share their plans for the next few years, and to get your feedback. We’d like 100 members of the Movement to join us at 65 Queen’s Gate (Baden-Powell House) on Saturday 14 April to discuss the digital strategy and help shape our work going forward.

More Information: https://digital.scouts.org.uk/


Could you help us become more digital ?

We're looking for some volunteers to help us become more digital, get active on social media and have fun in the process.

if you're interested in helping out just let us know !

DC@durhamcityscouts.org.uk





Previous News

Module A Young leader Training - 19th February

The next Module A for Young Leaders will be running on Monday 19 February at Elvet Methodist Church from 7:30pm. This is a requirement for all Young Leaders covering safeguarding, risk and Scouting fundamentals. If you have had any Young Leaders begin working in your section recently, please encourage them to attend. Young Leaders can book onto the training by emailing Ben Hodgkiss at benhodgkiss@btinternet.com

First Response Course (MOD 10)

The next available first response course will be at Waterhouses on the 25th February, the course will run 9am-4pm (Approx.) and will cost £15, you should be able to reclaim this cost from your group.

This course can be booked by emailing Firstaid@Durhamscouts.org.uk

New Branding Coming Soon

the Scout Association will be launching a new branding in the spring, with a two-year changeover period. It is therefore suggested that all groups hold off on any materials (e.g. letterheads, building signage, website launches etc.) until details of the new brand and support resources are available.

POR, Badge and Activity Updates

Please make sure that you, your teams and leaders are up-to-date with respect to the following updates:

• Multiple updates to POR – see http://scouts.org.uk/media/906994/Amendments-January-2018.pdf

• Activity Rule updates - http://members.scouts.org.uk/activitiesupdates

• Programme / Badge updates for Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer Scouts – see http://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/search/?cat=767,856

• Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme changes (changes to POR 4.37, 4.56 and 5.44) and updated resources– see http://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/search/?cat=767,856


Scouts Go Wild at Flamingo Land

Here's an early notification of a super day out for Scouts from across the North East Region - a special day our for Scouts at Flamingo Land!

Details are still being finalised and we'll keep you up-to-date as plans are finalised, but as well as access to the zoo and all the rides, the price includes

• Sole use of Plaza indoor facilities throughout the day as base and for lunch (not provided)
• Education worksheets/trail sheets
• Web-link booking.
• Animal encounters.

Places are bound to fill quickly, so why not ask your Scout Troop now if they'd like to go and join in with hundreds of other Scouts from across the North East for a great day out?

Where? Flamingo Land Resort Yorkshire

When? Sunday 16th September 2018

Cost? £18.00 each (Adults and Scouts - excludes food and transport)

County Programme Support Meeting - Tuesday 7th February 2018

We currently hold 3 or 4 county-wide meetings every year at Moor House, to which all sectional commissioners are invited along with all section leaders. Some section meetings are poorly attended and we need to think about making changes. We are thinking about:

• Moving our regular meetings 'on-line' (to use web conferencing), to allow leaders to obtain updates, discuss issues and share ideas - without travelling to Moor House
• An annual conference for each section, to allow leaders to network and meet one another, discuss issues and challenges and to present and share good programme delivery ideas
• Increased use of social media groups for all sections, to keep up-to-date, ask questions and share ideas
• Better use of the county website to share programme ideas and resources
We will be discussing this at the programme support meeting on 7th February at Moor House - if you want to have your say please come along or send someone to the meeting.

Alternatively, if you can't make the meeting, please email cc@durhamscouts.org.uk with your ideas on how we can improve programme support in the county


In Kind Direct - Product giving for social good

We distribute new, usable consumer goods, donated by some of the UK’s best known manufacturers and retailers, to charities, not-for-profit organisations and social enterprises working in the UK and abroad.
We are a lifeline to thousands of charities helping vulnerable people across the UK, allowing them to spend more of their money on support, not supplies.

This is a fantastic service especially or anyone who owns their own hall.
you can register for a free account at www.inkinddirect.org

Climb When Ready!

Simonside Climbing Wall | 3rd March 2018
Open to: Cubs, Scouts, Explorers, Network
Location: Simonside Climbing Wall
Date: Saturday 3rd March 2018
Cost: £4

In 2.5 hours, our cubs, scouts, explorers and network members will get the opportunity to climb 5 different routes, get a few pointers from our instructors and watch others master the routes. It's a great chance for those who want to push themselves to win and those who just want to learn more and enjoy their climbing. There will be a brilliant atmosphere including music, live interviews and electronic scoring so that climbers, leaders and parents can track how well everyone is doing!

Bookings are now open (close at 11pm on 16th February 2018) and you can find out more and book places on the county website - just use the link below.

https://www.durhamscouts.org.uk/events/climb-when-ready-2018/


Practical Skills &Adult Recruitment Weekend

Dates: 6pm, Friday 9th March 2018 18:00 – 4pm, Sunday 11th March 2018
Location: West Hall Scout Campsite, Moor Lane, Whitburn, SR6 7JT: View Map
Cost: Free
This practical scouting skills weekend is being organised by Sunderland, Darlington and South Tyneside scout districts for all leaders from the three districts, as well as any leader from the wider Scout County.

FREE CAMPING!!! Bring your own food, tent and enthusiasm and join us for a weekend of adult scouting. Learn new or practice old skills, be social and pick the brains of the Regional Services Team.

Join the Adult Recruitment workshop (running across two sessions: Saturday 10th March 2018, 3pm to 6pm & Sunday 11th March 2018, 9pm - 12 noon) and/or learn skills in one of five areas:

Backwoods Area (Fire Lighting and Backwoods Cooking)
Pioneering Area (Knots, Lashings and Pioneering)
Permit Area (Stephen Ramsey and team will be there to run AAP training and assessment)
Camping Area (Tent erection and layout)
Survival Area (Knife and Axe, Navigation)

If you want to know more about the weekend email DCs Pip, Shelagh or Richard or use the button below to book a place via EventBrite

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/practical-skills-adult-recruitment-weekend-tickets-39675355055


Safer Internet Day 2018

Safer Internet Day (SID) 2018 is less than 3 weeks away and takes place on 6th February. The theme this year is 'Create, Connect and Share Respect: a better internet starts with you'.

Hundreds of organisations across the UK have registered as supporters and will be running activities in support of the day.

To help you get involved, the UK Safer Internet Centre has created a range of resources, which focus on healthy online relationships and digital empathy, such as a Education Packs with engaging lesson plans, SID TV films, a quiz and advice pages.

Last year we collectively reached 42% of UK children. With your help we can make Safer Internet Day 2018 the biggest yet!


https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/

Congratulations

To Will and Jo Coombs on the birth of their daughter Jessica

Message for your new DCs

Following the County Commissioner’s announcement last week on the appointment of Kieren and I as joint DC, we wanted to take the opportunity to provide further detail on how we intend to share responsibilities of the DC role. I’m sure there will be questions that emerge over the coming weeks and months as we get established in the role, and there may be a need to tweak things as time progresses, but our starting position is as follows.

I will take broad responsibility for strategy and district development activities. In practice this will mean that I lead on safety, adult appointments, organisational development, section growth and recruitment. I will also look to establish a special projects group that will consider new ventures and new events within the district. Included in this will be the continuing development of the Coalburn camp site, a project that I’m pleased to advise that John Little has agreed to continue to lead.

In addition, I will lead on complaints and grievances, both internal and external, as well as stakeholder relationship management and external communications.

Finally, I will take the lead on District and group finances as well as any internal compliance matters.

Kieren will lead on operational and day to day matters. That means nights away permits, activity approvals, adult support, adult training, adventurous activities, activity permits, and the youth programme will be carried out by him. He will also take the lead on refreshes to the district’s operational systems, website and social media as well as on the delivery of a systems strategy for the groups within the district.

In addition, he will be the first point of contact for safeguarding, the DBS application and renewals process and will put together the internal communications, including the weekly email update.

The line management of GSLs, ADCs and other District team members will be split between Kieren and I, and a further communication will be issued to these individuals to advise them of this in due course, along with a request for a time to have an initial one to one meeting. The establishment and monitoring of training plans will follow the same split, as will the issue escalation process from the groups.

The District team will continue to meet three times a year, and John Little has generously offered to continue to host these at Fram. It is intended that the chair of these meetings will alternate between Kieren and I with the other picking up the secretariat duties.

Both Kieren and I will attend the District Executive meetings and we will soon be meeting with the Chair and rest of the Executive to discuss further the handover and continuity of work at this level.

Kieren and I will alternate attendance at County meetings. I will take the lead on the County relationship as we start the role, but we will review this as we settle in as we may find there is a better way to share this.

With respect to changes to the 20th Durham Waterhouses group, I’m pleased to announce that Sam McAtominey has agreed to step into the GSL role, and Kieren’s Scout Leader role will be filled by Matt Burgess. I’m sure you’ll join me in congratulating them in these appointments.

Kieren also has additional roles such as the County Advisor for first aid. Succession plans for these are being arranged and a further communication will be made once they have been formally worked through.

Both Kieren and I are very excited about our appointment and the opportunity to work with such a terrific group of people across Durham City and District and look forward to seeing you soon.

Simon and Kieren

Pottery kit

Moor House have some pottery equipment that has been kindly 'donated' to Moor House which we don't have a use for. If you'd like it, please get in touch with Frances.

There is around 26 moulds in total ranging from money pigs and chess pieces to Coffee/Sugar bowls and vases.

Ian


DBS Compliance Update - All Time High!

County are pleased with the DBS compliance rates but please continue to ensure that all new adults are registered on Compass and complete a DBS check promptly.

Hello DCs,

I haven’t shared one for a while, but the latest DBS compliance review shows that overall the county is at an all time high with respect to our average district DBS compliance figure. Overall, although a few districts have ‘slipped’, we are sitting slightly ahead of the national average.

Of the 36 ‘non-compliances’, only 2 people appear to need a DBS starting and one of these doesn’t actually need a DBS (Compass issue!). The rest are in progress and it appears that all districts have the process well in hand.

Thank you – and please do pass on my thanks to everyone involved in your districts (yourselves, GSLs, Appointment Secretaries etc)

David


County Trustee Support Meetings

Within the Scout County we intend to improve the support we are providing for District and Group Trustees (Executive Committees). This is part of a national initiative to provide such support. One of the ways we intend to do this is to hold two meetings per year for District Commissioners, Chairs, Treasurers and Secretaries to discuss governance issues.

We are aware that some Districts already hold similar meetings for Group Chairs, Treasurers and Secretaries and the hope is that this can be extended to all Districts and Groups in the County.

The first such meeting will be:

Location: Moor House Adventure Centre
Date: 14th March 2018
Time: 7pm – 9pm

During this initial meeting I am sure that we will discuss the topic of the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR – see below). We also intend to review the requirements for Executive Committee member training and the sources of other support information available to Executive Committees. If there is anything else that you would like to put on the agenda (finance or accounts, annual general meetings, constitutions or anything else) please let myself or County Chair Graham Elder (chair@durhamscouts.org.uk) know.

With respect to GDPR we understand that some Districts are getting well prepared and others may not have started looking at the topic. The same is surely true for Scout Groups as well. We believe that the Scout Association is due to publish guidance and support material in the next few weeks, but in the interim we are getting prepared to support you. We have a revised County Data Protection Policy and have drafted a set of five new procedures. We have also drafted some guidance / training material. As soon as this is reviewed internally we will be making the documentation available to you and we will be organising some training sessions for anyone in Districts or Groups who would like to attend.

Regards
David


New District Commissioner

The search for a new District Commissioner for Durham City is finally over. On January 31st, John Little will be stepping down from the the role and from February 1st, Durham City will have not one, but two District Commissioners taking on the role on a job-share basis!

The two joint DCs are Simon Kemp and Kieren Stephenson, both of whom started their scout leadership journey at the 20th Durham group in Waterhouses.

Kieren is the current Scout Leader at 20th and said of his appointment, 'I’m delighted to have been given the chance to take on a more senior role in scouting and look forward to the challenges it brings. I have learned a lot in my time at 20th and am excited to be able to share some of that with the rest of the district.'

Simon is the GSL at 20th and said, 'We have a fantastic group of leaders in the Durham City District who work really hard to provide amazing scouting opportunities for the young people who live here. I saw the DC role as a tremendous opportunity to work more closely with them and help them achieve their aspirations in the scouting world.'

The details of how the role will be split will be communicated to the County team, District Executive and District team in the next few days but in broad terms Simon will take responsibility for District development and strategy, while Kieren will pick up the more day to day duties.

County Commissioner David Stokes said 'After a long search, I’m very pleased to be appointing two capable individuals into the role and look forward to working with them on the development of the district. I’d also like to thank John Little for his work as DC over the last five years, and I’m sure he’ll be keen to support Simon and Kieren as they find their feet in the role over the next few months'.


Campsite Update

Progress on the District campsite continues slowly particularly relating to the prerequisite elements of water and parking.

I've also collated some initial information into a webpage:
http://durhamcityscouts.org.uk/coalburns/

If anyone has any constructive feedback please do let me know.

Gladys Patterson

I am her son-in-law and write to let you know that Mrs Gladys Patterson died on the morning of Friday 19th January. She was the widow of Benjamin Patterson a former County Commissioner.

Please let the scouts know as I’m sure that some will remember both Ben and Gladys.

Many thanks
Brian

J Brian Cook


If anyone one wants funeral information please liaise with David Stokes directly

Grant funding

Are you looking for grant funding to support your Group, District or County with training, supporting members or Sea Scout equipment? Take a look at the
Scout Grant Committee’s web pages to learn about the funding available and how to apply.

County Surveys

Hopefully you've already received an email to this effect...

Please remember that in 2018 we'll be holding a County Development Conference and updating the County Development Plan, and we'll also be delivering more practical skills training.

We're currently running two surveys so that you can:

Tell us what you think about the support available from the scout county - and what else we need to be doing to support you
Tell us what practical skills training you need - we'll prioritise the training to make sure that we provide the training that you tell us you need

Please use the buttons below to complete the surveys (they'll only take a couple of minutes of your time), so that we can all deliver the best possible scouting in 2018 and beyond.
County Satisfaction Survey
Practical Skills Survey






Jan 2012Feb 2012Mar 2012Apr 2012May 2012Jun 2012Jul 2012Aug 2012Sep 2012Oct 2012Nov 2012Dec 2012
Jan 2013Feb 2013Mar 2013Apr 2013May 2013Jun 2013Jul 2013Aug 2013Sep 2013Oct 2013Nov 2013Dec 2013
Jan 2014Feb 2014Mar 2014Apr 2014May 2014Jun 2014Jul 2014Aug 2014Sep 2014Oct 2014Nov 2014Dec 2014
Jan 2015Feb 2015Mar 2015Apr 2015May 2015Jun 2015Jul 2015Aug 2015Sep 2015Oct 2015Nov 2015Dec 2015
Jan 2016Feb 2016Mar 2016Apr 2016May 2016Jun 2016Jul 2016Aug 2016Sep 2016Oct 2016Nov 2016Dec 2016
Jan 2017Feb 2017Mar 2017Apr 2017May 2017Jun 2017Jul 2017Aug 2017Sep 2017Oct 2017Nov 2017Dec 2017
Jan 2018

Upcoming District events

Easter Activities Day

25/03/18
Coxhoe

01/01/70

Outdoor Scout Competition

10/03/18

SANCTUARY

14/07/18

SANCTUARY

14/07/18

Privacy Statement and other Legal Stuff                                   webmaster@durhamcityscouts.org.uk